On whatever list of healthy foods you look at, chances are, pomegranate will feature. They are considered among the healthiest fruits on earth.
They are a powerhouse of beneficial nutrients for the body compared to other fruits. They are hailed for their ability to lower the risk of a myriad of diseased.
Here are just some of the health benefits of including pomegranates in your diet.
1. They are loaded with several important nutrients – Pomegranates are small red berry-like fruits that grow on shrubs. The skin of pomegranates is thick and inedible but it contains hundreds of edible fruits within it. They have an impressive nutrient profile including fiber, Vitamin C, Protein, Vitamin K, Folate and Potassium.
2. They are medicinal – Pomegranates are known to contain plant compounds that have medicinal properties. Punicalagins are powerful antioxidants found in the juice and peel of pomegranates.
They are actually considered to have three times more antioxidant ability of both red wine and green tea. Punicic Acid is the main fatty acid in the seeds of the pomegranate and has very potent biological effects. It is also known as pomegranate seed oil.
3. Anti-inflammatory effects – Chronic inflammation can be linked to several killer diseases such as cancer, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and obesity. Taking pomegranate juice daily can reduce inflammation in the body by up to 32%.
4. Useful in the fight against prostate cancer and increase testosterone – Prostate cancer is the leading form of cancer in men. Studies show that taking pomegranate regularly can slow down cancer cell reproduction and even cause cell death in cancer cells.
5. Beneficial in lowering blood pressure – Hypertension is one of the leading drivers of strokes and heart attacks. A study conducted on patients suffering from blood pressure issues showed a significant decrease in blood pressure in those who had high levels by only taking pomegranate juice daily for two weeks.
6. Helps relieve arthritis and joint pain. As people get older many experience joint problems. Laboratory studies show that pomegranate can hinder the production of enzymes that are known to damage joints in those suffering from osteoarthritis. Because of their anti-inflammatory properties, it also goes that pomegranates would help in relieving arthritis.
7. Fighting fungal and bacterial infections – It is not uncommon to find women taking pomegranate juice or supplements to cure yeast infections. Pomegranate has been found to be beneficial against certain types of bacteria and yeast.
These anti-bacterial and anti-fungal effects may also be protective against inflammations and infections in the mouth. Conditions such as periodontitis, gingivitis and denture stomatitis can be managed by drinking pomegranate juice regularly.
To be able to enjoy the health benefits outlined here, you can either eat pomegranates directly or drink their juice. Luckily, they are also sweet so you do not have to worry about having a bad taste in your mouth after eating them.
Pomegranates should be consumed regularly in order to reap all the benefits they have to offer.